Monday, November 4, 2013

The Glory Of Being 90 Years Old...Told In A Brief Style

  • When you're 90 years old, not only has your dick died, but your underwear is all you need for your urine and feces tests.
  • Getting old is a 'lay up'. Being old ain't for wimps or sissies. Every kvetch chases you to Google and borderline hypochondria.
  • Not needing a cane, a walker or a fucking motorized wheel chair is big.
  • Not falling on my ass, for good or bad reasons is cause for celebration.
  • Wanting to sing out 'Hallelujah' when a name comes to mind easy.
  • Being 'regular' is big. Having to eat at least four prunes a day to get there is almost disgusting.
  • Just being able to swing my leg high enough to get on a LeMond spinning bike feels like an accomplishment. Doing intervals even more so.
  • Out of respect for other driver's lives never, ever, driving on a freeway is a must.
  • Wondering if some homeless guy will get my $5,000 Brioni suits; where the fun was in the buying, not in the wearing.
  • 70 year old memories of drinking boiler makers in Hawaii during a stop-over en route to the States. We were on a 6 hour pass from the hospital ship. Got really in the bag, literally fell flat on my face in a pool of water returning to the ship. We had planned to have steaks. Whiskey and beer chasers did, however, win the day.
  • Ecstatic that the marbles in my head are still rolling around.
  • Working with a great trainer twice a week. 30 minutes and 12 lb weights are my emotional and physical limits.
  • Happy to be, to quote Billy Crystal, "A hoarder of memories".
  • Knowing that percentages in all endeavors are the game. Gotta keep shoveling cause you know that under that pile of horse shit, there has to be a pony somewhere.
  • Living by Bum Phillip's, a football coach's dictum, that 'You can fail all the time but you're never a failure, til you blame someone else".
  • Optimism energizes. Pessimism drags you down.
  • Knowing, to paraphrase Dean Martin, that when I get out of bed in the morning that it's as bad as I'm going to feel all day.
  • Like any good Jew, I always forgive but never forget.
  • Looking, sometimes staring, at knockout young women and wondering what possessed me to get married at 22. Not too fucking smart.
  • Realizing that too much of my life has been severely influenced by letting my little head run my big one.
  • Remembering getting picked up in Paris, drunk out of my fucking mind, by two hookers from Mozambique. Going back to the Meurice for a ménage a trois. Woke up, rolled, and not remembering anything about the ménage but sure that it was great.
  • Finally remembering to put my keys, sunglasses and wallet in the same place has added real time to my life.
  • Recalling the El Al flight attendant asking me, when I asked for my 4th drink in the first hour, on my way to Israel, "Another one?"
  • Loving the line from Fiddler on the Roof, 'Those were the days my friend. We thought they'd never end.'
  • Busted on my lower case bronx, jewish ass, but with zero regrets and optimism about the next 4.6 years.

2 comments:

Jan McGill said...

You. Are. The. Greatest.

The Mohammed Ali of Life Stories.

So glad to be lucky enough to know you. Even luckier to have had such great memories and laughs with you.

Keep 'em coming, Champ :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Bernie! This is Jan's friend Louise -- from NYC, remember? She passed the link on...this is hilarious! You sound well and able to laugh, how great is that?
I'm living in L.A. , married with dogs!
Life is pretty damn good
sending you the best and keep the blog coming!
XL