Monday, February 16, 2009

Living on the Edge...of Money

If I knew that I was going to live this long I would probably have taken better care of my money. Ah where did the many, many millions I earned go? 'Cause I don't have even a small itty, bitty, little bit of it left. Profligate spending? No respect for accumulating money? Always spent at least a little more than I made? Guilty as charged of all of the above and more.

Did I enjoy being constantly overdrawn at the bank? I must have because I was constantly overdrawn. Me and keeping a record of the checks written while keeping a record of my bank balance weren't even kissin' cousins. I was totally arrogant about my ability to make money and my arrogance was well founded. A banker once asked me what I was going to do with the money I wanted to borrow. "Spend it" I said. He thought that I was being a smart ass, and he turned me down. But how did I make many millions of dollars disappear? No problem for this old, lower case jew.

While I did spend mucho bucks on myself, the bulk of the money was spent on others. My wives before and after divorces (a half of a half doesn't leave a whole hell of a lot). My four kids and the Ice Princess plus my second ex wife were my prime targets. The Ice Princess complained, sometimes bitterly that I spoiled the kids. But my cry was that I was not "schizo" and that I couldn't give her (#1 ex wife) everything she wanted (and she wanted plenty starting with being a born again clothes horse) and not do the same for the kids. How she adored and loved I Magnin's. I loved every spending minute of it. I was pretty much consumed with love and affection for kids and yes, even for the Ice Princess and wife #2.

I also pissed away a ton of money on people I hardly knew or even cared to know. One of my kids had a tennis shop. God only knows how many warm up suits and tennis rackets I bought for flight attendants that I saw just once and didn't care to see again. I was trying to support the tennis shop and most flight attendants became brain dead while on that job, so I seldom pursued them. I was a real money sump pump and just loved it. The seventeen years between marriages were also terrific for spending money. Would I do it all over again? For sure!! My disrespect for accumulating money never included lack of recognition of what money was doing for my beloved family, good and casual friends and yeah even a few enemies.

Redundantly, I have lived a long and rich life and, thank God, always on the edge.


No comments: