Friday, July 12, 2013

GUILT, SOBRIETY, DROP DEAD, AN OLD MAN'S UNDERPANTS



Rancho La Puerto probably means nothing to 99.9% of humanity. It is a holistic fitness, mind fucking, expensive facility outside of San Diego in Mexico...It was my first ex wife's favorite fitness, mind elevating place. There I was, busted on my fat ass, while the Princess was living high on the hog trying to shrink her ass. Not doable. Elevate her mind? Maybe...

I had given the Princess 100% of our substantial assets and had taken on 100% of our substantial debt. But for this guilt ridden Jew, it was a great idea. After all, the Princess really needed to recuperate from a 27 year ride on my roller coaster of married life. Also, as a guilt ridden Jew, it gave me the over the top feeling of martyrdom.

So, all in all I was as happy as a pig in shit. After all, my fucking suicide attempt could have been successful. Rich or poor I was still looking down at the grass, with a great AA sponsor, Pat Cooper who I loved. Though, it did bother me that Pat told me, everyday, that I was crazy and should institutionalize myself. Advice I didn't take.

Our divorce wasn't final yet and the Princess was, as usual, attending Al Anon meetings and seeing a shrink to boot. The shrink, Mrs. Mindick, and the Al Anon women seemed to spend a lot of time telling the Princess that I was a total, irredeemable fucking bum.

When we were still living together, I had always known when the Princess went to see the shrink or went to an Al Anon meeting.  And so did the kids. The Princess would always, that night, have a life style changing pronouncement, sometimes two, for all of us. In one ear and out the other; Al Anon for the ignorant is a support group for husbands, wives and kids of serious drinkers.

While the Princess was working on her ass and freeing her mind from my influence at the Rancho I decided to turn off all that fucking noise. First I went to her Al Anon meeting. I was one of two guys in the room. The other guy was, when push came to shove, chasing pussy. Sitting around a big table each woman spoke of her difficulties in being married to a drinking schmuck called 'husband'.

When my turn came I said "My name is Bernie and I’m an alcoholic. I'm here to tell you that I am not a fucking telephone pole. When you give advice about me to Bonnie, bear in mind that I'm a living, breathing human being."And I stood up and walked out. I'm sure that those broads were horrified, shocked and pissed off that I had the gall to effectively tell them to drop dead. The guy, also a drunk, loved it.

Then I went home (No cell phone those days,1973-4) and called Mrs. Mindick  and gave her the same message. Poor Mrs. Mindick, she too was horrified at my phone call. But after 23 years of seeing shrinks, it was easy for me to manipulate her.

When the Princess got home and found out what I had done she went off the fucking wall. As a Confirmed Californian she shouted that I had 'invaded her space'. Did all that action change anything? Nah, but it made me feel warm all over. Like a clam in mud. Telling people to fuck off is, gratefully, part of my DNA....

And then there's the one about the old couple in the doctor's office with the doctor giving the old man last minute instructions. "When you come back”, the doctor says, “bring urine and feces samples". The old man being hard of hearing turns to his wife and asks," What did he say?".The old lady replies "He said, bring your underwear the next time you come here". ...A little too close to home...